|NLP ARTICLE MENU|
|A flowering of the heart|
|Do your thought serve you?|
|Do you have a disaster prep strategy?|
|How to use 'but' to transform your life|
|How to build confidence in public speaking|
|How to turn down the heat on your anger|
|How to deal with Bulimia|
|How to deal with depression|
|How to increase your IQ?|
|How to get into flow|
|How to explore your past lives|
|How to get out of your own way|
|How to make better decisions|
|How to overcome chocolate addiction|
|How to quit smoking cigarettes|
|How to quit smoking marijuana|
|How to stop procrastinating|
|How to spell like a pro|
|How much money do you waste?|
|How much time do you waste?|
|How to put insomnia to sleep|
|How to quit gambling and get ahead in life|
|How to stop drinking alcohol using NLP and Hypnotherapy|
|How to use acknowledgement to heal addictive behaviour|
|Personality type for Forex traders?|
|Process versus content|
|Rhetoric and debating skills|
|Seven Secrets of Success|
|The millennial tragedy|
|The parable of the lost treasure|
|What is the origin of thought?|
|Why learn the NLP Meta Model|
|Read feedback on NLP hypnotherapy Gold Coast Qld|
How to deal with depression and negative emotions - and make positive changes rapidly using NLP and Hypnotherapy, Gold Coast... Heal Depression Gold Coast read success stories. Neuro Linguistic Programming. Online coaching available.
By Abby Eagle (2019)
Feeling depressed sucks and if you let it control you then it can ruin your life but the good news is that in most cases you can bring about steady and progressive improvement by following some basic procedures.
The first thing that you should do is to see a health care professional – a doctor, a naturopath, a nutritionist, etc and make sure that you are taking care of the physical aspects of your health. So a healthy diet and good food choices is always number one.
Now my area of expertise is NLP, Hypnotherapy and Meditation. I have been working in this field since 1984 – and in this article I would like to share some of my understandings with you.
The first thing is to take the noun ‘depression’ and turn it into a verb – that is make it a process – and we ask, how do you do the process of depressing yourself? Let me repeat that, how do you do the process of depressing yourself?
If depressing yourself is something that YOU do then it stands to reason that by learning how your mind works that you can learn how to access and mobilise your inner resources and bring about some positive change. So how do you change your depressing thoughts? You start by taking the thoughts out of mind and putting them down on paper.
So grab yourself a big piece of butchers paper, fish and chip shop paper or flip chart paper from Officeworks – and a couple of nice pens. Layout the paper in landscape mode on your kitchen table and follow the instructions below:
1. In the top left of the page write, ‘Present State’. And then write the date.
2. In the top right of the page write, ‘Desired Outcome’. And then write a date about six months in the future. I usually use June 30th or December 31st.
3. Under Present State list all the presenting problems – from the past all the way up to now.
4. Under Desired Outcome write a description of your future self – your desired outcome – the new you – three to six months in the future.
5. Now you have to learn to use, Questions, Statements and Commands. Write those words on the paper. They are one of your most powerful tools. You need to learn to ask the right questions if you want to get answers that will lead you out of depression to your desired outcome.
6. So write down your questions and then answer those questions - and ask yourself a range of questions, for example:
- what are the factors that led up to the present state?
- what part did I play in creating the present state?
- what part did my personality type play in creating the present state?
- have I been too agreeable? Have I been to disagreeable?
- am I quick to action or am I slow to take action?
- what can I learn from the past?
- if I took the learnings from the past and applied them to the future how could that improve my life?
So you review the past and extract the positive learnings and then take those learnings into the future. In NLP we call this future pacing. By making notes of your personal history there is also an acknowledgment that for one reason or other ‘things’ happened. You are also taking the thoughts out of mind and putting them down on paper – so then you get to look at those notes in an objective manner – rather than trying to do it inside your mind. So make it a practice to use the Present State to Desired Outcome Model. That is, make notes on paper about your present state and what you future self should look like, sound like and feel like.
7. When you shift your attention to the future ask questions like: If you did not have any financial, relationship or health worries how would you spend your time? If you did not have to work for a living what would you do? What would you find yourself naturally attracted to? Where would your feelings lead you? What would you do in the morning, afternoon and evening? Who would you spend your time with? Where would you go? What is the environment in which you would flourish? What are your passions? What are your interests? If you could live your life all over again what would you do? What would you study? Who would you hang out with?
And dealing with the present issues ask question like: What action do I need to take to clear up the current situation? It is a good idea to write a long list of actions that need to be taken. As you complete each item you cross it off, which gives a sense of satisfaction. Making lists and taking action – and then crossing of the completed item is fundamental to shifting from depression to feeling good about your self.
8. To help you with the aforementioned you should learn all you can about personality types. I suggest you take the Personality Hacker version of the Myers Briggs. It is free and they have excellent articles and videos. It is also useful to take the Political Compass test – and Roger Hamilton’s Wealth Dynamics Profile. The WD profile test will cost you about US$100.00 but it is worth it. And then you fine tune personality type by learning about NLP Meta Programs. There are articles on my website and videos on my youtube channel on NLP Meta Programs.
9. And then you need to learn about values. Values are the reason why you do what you do. They influence every decision that you make. There are articles on values on my website and on youtube.
10. AND NOW WHAT YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR – FLOW STATES.
Flow is an optimal state of consciousness in which you perform at your best. It is what some people call the zone. Being in flow is very different to feeling depressed. So now let’s have a quick look at flow states. Steven Kotler gives flow four stages: 1. Struggle. 2. Relax and let go. 3. Flow. 4. Learning and consolidation.
Everything starts with struggle and there has to be a reason why you take action. That is why you do all the previous steps in preparation for action. Write down this mantra: You set an INTENTION which drives your ATTENTION onto the TASK at hand so that you can FOCUS in and CONCENTRATE.
So in this article I have given you the basics to help you get moving. It takes action to move out of depression. So you get your butchers paper and you start putting pen to paper. From these notes you create an action plan – and using your questions, statements and commands you look at the list and then you ask yourself, which item should I work on first? If you feel stuck and can’t answer that question then you give a command to yourself – and you say – choose one item – do that now! And then you say – okay and now take action on this item immediately, right now!
As you take action you will slowly get into a flow state and the depression will lift. Trust me – it works. If you would like some NLP coaching to help you to clear negative emotions, to deal with past issues, to set goals and get yourself moving in a positive direction then feel free to send me an email from the web form at the top right of this page.
|The secret of high achievers|
|How to build a powerful team|
|Learn the NLP Meta Model|
|How I stopped drinking alcohol.|
|How to coach yourself using NLP.|